Something on Saturday ... Books

I love books. 

Especially ones with decent paper, good layout and design, nice smell and a great story! You could say I'm an addict but I'm not really... just extremely enthusiastic!

My favourite authors are Walter Moers, Stephen King, Clive Barker, Terry Pratchett, AA Milne and Marian Keyes. And so many more! I don't have just one favourite...!

Be faster to just take a pic of my bookcase... but you'd not be able read the authors' names because they'd be too tiny, so have taken a photo of my reading list instead.

The following photo is just a few books waiting to be read. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton has been here for some time, but it'll get read eventually!


I've started Inkheart by Cornelia Funke and refuse to watch the movie until its finished. 

Jasper Fforde is an author my brother recommended... the back is hilarious, can't wait to read more.

The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers is just one of his amazing adventures. I love his books!
He also wrote Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear, A Wild Ride Through the Night and The Alchemeister's Apprentice

His books are always a wonderful journey through the world of Zamonia and beyond, and the drawings are totally brilliant.



All the illustrations scattered throughout all the books are black and white ink drawings as shown above (from The City of Dreaming Books). I love them!!!
In A Wild Ride Through the Night, Walter used beautiful, detailed woodcuts by Gustave Dore, a very talented artist from the 1800's. 

Thankfully, all Walter's adventures are translated into English from either German or Zamonian (depending on the book) by John Brownjohn... otherwise learning 2 new languages would be on my list of things to do!

Of course, useful books are good to have too, like Women's Stuff by Kaz Cooke. This book isn't on my list, it just lives there. Its got fantastic design and typography too... from cover to cover. 

So that's my thoughts this Saturday morning... I'd love to stay and chat some more, but I've got to get organised for this afternoon's art class. 

Wishing you all a fabulous day!!!
:)
Jenny

Comments