How to Make 3D Bees

This mixed media tutorial featuring honey bees and sunflowers was created using Sizzix Framelits "Entomology" by Tim Holtz, Dylusions Stamps "Sunshine Girl" and Ranger's 3D Clear Foam Tape... plus repurposed packaging (black card and cellophane) and a few other arty treasures.

mixed media artwork by Jenny James featuring sunflowers, bees and their hive
I used the black cardstock from the packaging of the Darkroom Door large stencils... its quire a solid colour and the card is smooth and sturdy. When I want to colour my die cut shapes, I usually use Tim's packaging as its a light brown with interesting texture or start with white watercolour or mixed media paper. But bees are usually brown or black and yellow :)

First thing I did was trim the black cardstock into 2.5" strips. Using my Sizzix Sidekick with the bee from Entomology Framelits and the two cutting pads, I cut out dozens of bees. Even one bee at a time doesn't take long. I cut out heaps of ants too but didn't end up using them for my page.

As a die cutting template is like a cookie cutter and presses out the shapes, the finished shape has two sides... the upper side has smooth rounded edges, the underneath has a sharper edge. I prefer to have the rounded edge as my right side.

Each bee had their stripes added using Pure Sunshine (yellow) Dylusions Paint Pen.

recycling and giving purpose to packaging
The wings are all cut out of cellophane, also from stencil packaging. Cello packets are found with all sorts of products, I tend to keep it all in a drawer along with acetate packing that might be useful. Its not hoarding at all, its saving and recycling!

Cutting fine cellophane can be done with a few sheets at the same time. How many will depend on your machine and thickness of cello you use.
The cello may get squashed together but separates again easily enough.

Iridescent shimmer can be added to cello with glitter glue or glue with dry glitter and left to dry. I used one called holographic glitter... so pretty! Being plastic, it can take longer to dry but is worth it.

Experiment with your glue as some won't stick to cello - but then if it falls of later, what a fab excuse to get out the glitter again! 

mixed media artwork by Jenny James featuring sunflowers, bees and their hive
The black bees had their wings cut off with fine sharp scissors. I felt so mean doing that, but reassured them that they'd all get new prettier wings!

At first, the two layers, cardstock and cello, were adhered together carefully lining them up so only the wings were showing. It proved tricky so I trimmed off all the legs from the cello bees leaving only wings with bodies. Adhering the two layers is much easier this way because if they're crooked the legs don't give it away!

finished mixed media artwork by Jenny James featuring sunflowers, bees and their hive
To add the bees to the page so they were raised, I used Ranger's thick clear foam tape, stuck just underneath the body hidden from view.

Shown above are words from Tim Holtz Idea-Ology Chipboard Quotes. I've trimmed one quote with sharp scissors so it could be stacked.
The pretty pattern under the quote is made using washi tape, trimmed to look like bunting.

finished mixed media artwork by Jenny James featuring sunflowers, bees and their hive
Close up of my bees... I added more holographic glitter to the bodies and antennae as well.

The sunflowers were created using the flower from Dylusions by Dyan Reaveley stamp set, Sunshine Girl. Each flower was coloured with various inks (yellow, brown, green) plus spots of white paint pen for highlights.

finished mixed media artwork by Jenny James featuring sunflowers, bees and their hive
Above shows my finished page featuring the swarm of bees taking the scenic route home.

The background was made using Dylusions Ink Sprays with Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Sprays. The page was upright so the sprayed ink ran down the page, leaving a stripy texture. Both sides of the page were coloured this way.

Once the spray ink had dried, which took a day or two because I was a bit heavy handed with ink,  I blended Dylusions Paint in Dirty Martini, Lemon Zest and White Linen through various stencils in honeycomb and hexagon designs.

finished mixed media artwork by Jenny James featuring sunflowers, bees and their hive
Here's the other side of the page ... The rough looking honeycomb is Finnabair Plaster Paste. I spread the paste on a stencil then pressed it onto the page like a stamp.

Also shown is a strip of Tim Holtz Wallflower Vellum Paper (left), Idea-Ology Journaling Card (under the beehive), washi tape and a hive made of sticky back canvas coloured with Derwent Inktense Pencils.

I hope my 3D bees and sunflowers inspire you to take the scenic route and get adventurous with your art supplies and recycled materials. Sing out if you need a hand and have fun!

Happy Creative Day!
:)
Jenny

Comments