Under the Sea Creatures ATCs

ATCs (artist trading cards) are such fun things to make. This theme was "Creatures of the Sea". Of course I had to use the Dylusions "Under the Sea" stamp set... they're too adorable to not use at every opportunity!

Creatures Under the Sea - Art Trading Cards by Jenny using Dylusions and Darkroom Door stamps

The first thing I did was cut up a sheet of Sticky-Back Canvas into 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" rectangles and then spray them with Dylusions ink spray in Calypso Teal and then Lemon Zest.
Before it dried I stamped with Distress Ink in Forest Moss with the Darkroom Door background stamp, Peeled Paint. The next layer was the seaweed and coral from the Darkroom Door stamp set, Under the Sea with Distress Inks in Chipped Sapphire and Forest Moss.


On top of this I inked up the Darkroom Door background stamp Circles with water. I have a Dylusions empty ink pad filled with water for this purpose. I like how the water reacts with the inks and lightens the colours. After all this dried I stamped a starfish using Distress Ink in Picket Fence. Lastly, I used the seaweed and coral stamps again but this time using Distress Oxide Ink in Fossilized Amber.


Overall, the background turned out really well. This photo was taken after it dried. Before this, it didn't have the same contrasts with the bubbles and starfish. The combination of Distress Inks and Distress Oxides is fantastic. Being slightly opaque, the Distress Oxides give layers a bit of depth as it gives the illusion of being in the foreground.


I usually colour my critters before cutting them out and then use Distress Ink with a blending tool to stain the edges. Things you notice after a photo is taken - the fish in the top right looks so cheeky trying to eat the octopus left behind on the scrap paper.


The above pic is a closeup of the little crab and his friends. You can see how the smooth mixed media paper contrasts with the cool texture of the sticky-back canvas.

These art trading cards were made for the June 2017 swap ... I'm just a bit slow at uploading to my blog! No wonder I couldn't find this post the other day, it was still in drafts!

Thanks for checking out my blog. I hope it made you smile :)


Here are the products I used to make these mini masterpieces...


Dylusions Cling Rubber Stamps - Plenty of Fish in the Sea
Dylusions Cling Rubber Stamps - Plenty of Fish in the Sea
Background Stamp - Circles - Darkroom Door
Background Stamp - Peeled Paint - Darkroom Door
Background Stamp - Peeled Paint - Darkroom Door
Rubber Stamp Set - Seashells - Darkroom Door
picture of 3 Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pads
Tim Holtz Distress Ink and Oxide Ink Pads
Dylusions Ink Spray - Calypso Teal and other colours
Dylusions Cling Rubber Stamps - Under the Sea
Dylusions Cling Rubber Stamps - Ocean Background
Ranger Sticky-Back Canvas - White - 5 Sheets

Comments