Dylusions Challenge for January 2018

An art journal page created for a monthly challenge with The Dylusions Facebook Challenge Group :) 
January 2018 theme is - Red, Orange, Squares.


I've decided I really need to do something with the fabulous journal I started at Dyan Reaveley's workshop last September! Given that most of the pages are covered in paint and ink already, the hard work of choosing colour combos is done. For the challenges, all I'll need to do is choose a page and get crafty! That's the plan anyway :)

This page started a very plain page using orange and black Dylusions Ink Spray. To get the same background effect, choose a colour (Tangerine Dream) and spray it in three large areas of the right hand page. Then pick up the Black Marble and spray in the remaining uninked areas of the page. Close the book to spread the ink to the opposite page. Open the book and use your paper towel for rolling off excess ink. Amazingly, the black ink doesn't take over the whole page! Leave it to dry for a bit.

For this challenge page, everything I've used is from Dyan Reaveley's range of art products:
- Colouring Sheets (I used two sheets from set no.2)
plus :
- small scissors

Everything you need is available at Art by Jenny - www.shop.artbyjenny.com.au :)

The first thing I did to my page was tape down some washi, dividing the large rectangle into smaller squares. 
To finish off the background I used Dylusions Paints in Pomegranate, Lemon Zest and Cherry Pie with an ink blending tool through various stencils (Squares, Blocks, Arrow Border and Stained Glass). I started with the large Squares stencil with the dark red (Pomegranate Seed), then used the same paint with the dotted strip from the Arrow Border set of stencils. After that there wasn't really an order to what I did - just follow your heart and you can't go wrong!

To decide what to add to the page, I flicked through my Dylusions Stamps, die cuts (Dy Cuts) as well as the colouring sheets. I ended up only using two sheets from Colouring Sheets Set 2. The quote (shown above) says "We are all a little broken but broken crayons still colour" and is one that speaks to me on so many levels! lol :) 

I coloured the hair, borders, bird and heart with Dylusions Ink Spray - put a few drops of ink onto a plate or palette and pick up the ink with a brush.

The border of the square behind the face (above) was painted with Pure Sunshine Ink Spray before being stuck down. I then painted the inside of the square with white gesso and then again with the yellow ink.

The heart is made from two doodle curls and painted with both red inks with a splash of yellow towards the centre.

I needed more little squares so drew some in black pen along with one of the doodle curls (the one in the book was facing the wrong way!). No extra paper was used, they're all made from scraps from the two colouring sheets.

I think that's it... oh, I drew some more little black squares here and there. Sometimes its hard to know when to stop and today was one of those days - but I'm leaving it as it is and any more ideas this gives can go towards next month's challenge.

Thanks so much for visiting. I hope this blog post somehow inspires you to have a go and get messy with paper, ink and paint!

Sing out anytime if you need a hand or have questions!

Happy Creative Day!
:)
Jenny



Comments

  1. This is gorgeous Jenny; I love all the layers! Makes this piece surreal yet cheerful! Love the design of your blog too; didn't know you can do with Blogspot!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Have a happy creative day!